Department: Tool Development
Direct Supervisor: Director of Tool Development
Tekton needs an impressive Tool Developer to work closely with other members of our Tool Development, Quality Control, and Supply Chain teams on all phases of the product development process—researching, designing, manufacturing, and refining the highest-quality hand tools.
Some Specific Role Responsibilities
- Apply engineering principles to design and manufacture tools you believe in
- Build and test models and prototypes to verify design concepts
- Assist in evaluating the manufacturing capabilities of suppliers to ensure they will be reliable long-term partners
- Develop initial product standards to hand off to our Quality Control Team
- Design and perform tests that assess the performance of finished products
- Collaborate with the Campaigns and Tekton.com departments to tell the tool's story
- Follow products into users' hands, gathering and learning from their experiences
You do not need a specific degree or job history, but a background in mechanical engineering, product/industrial design, math, or related fields could be helpful. You should be familiar with CAD/3-D modeling and other standard industry software. The right person will be able to learn many of the needed skills on the job. A very high capacity for learning, a commitment to excellence, and high energy and focus are essential to success.
Location and hours
This is a full-time salaried position located in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
About the company
Tekton, Inc. is a family-owned company in Grand Rapids, Michigan. We are dedicated to making the best hand tools you will ever own, and we start by designing the products that we personally believe in and want to own ourselves. We focus especially on tools used in mechanical and assembly work; our core categories include systems of hand drive sockets and ratchets, impact sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, and pliers.