Materials Performance Engineer
Department: Tool Development
Direct Supervisor: Director of Tool Development
Tekton needs an impressive Materials Performance Engineer to help us make our tools from the most effective materials. Working daily with our Tool Development and Manufacturing departments, you will guide us in the relationship between the structure, properties, and processing of materials and the resulting behavior and performance of those materials in the finished product.
Some specific role responsibilities
- • Apply the principles of materials science to evaluate and select a variety of materials including metals, polymers, and fabrics
- • Research and recommend new or emerging technologies that will advance our capabilities in material processing, manufacturing methods, and finishes and coatings
- • Oversee and maintain our testing laboratory, including its operation, organization, and equipment to ensure testing needs are met
- • Measure and analyze performance aspects of tools including hardness, corrosion resistance, wear resistance, strength under different types of loads, and failure modes
- • Work directly with suppliers to improve the outcome of current processes
- • Assist in the launch and startup of new in-house manufacturing equipment or processes
Education, experience, and skills
- You do not need a specific degree or job history, but a background in materials science, chemistry, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering or related fields could be helpful. You will be engaged in multiple projects at any given time, each with its own schedule, so the ability to work independently and to consistently achieve results on time are critical. A very high capacity for learning, a commitment to excellence, and high energy and focus are essential to success.
Location and hours
- This is a full-time, salaried position located in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
About the company
Tekton, Inc. is a family-owned company in Grand Rapids, Michigan. We are dedicated to making the best hand tools you will ever own, and we start by designing the products that we personally believe in and want to own ourselves. We focus especially on tools used in mechanical and assembly work; our core categories include systems of hand drive sockets and ratchets, impact sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, and pliers.
HOW TO APPLY
Think you'd be a good addition to our team? Submit an application today.Apply Now